Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mother Daughter Me

Mother Daughter Me  
by Katie Hafner
Genre:  Nonfiction/Memoir
Pages:   288
Published:  7/2/13 by Random House
Format:  ARC


My Rating:
3.5 out of 5 stars








 
I received an early copy of this book for review from Library Thing.

Katie Hafner grew up with an alcoholic mother. For a large portion of her childhood, she was removed from her mother's custody. Her memories of her mother are not pleasant. Yet, as an adult, she decides to invite her elderly mother to move into her home with Katie and her teenage daughter Zoe. The resulting "experiment" brings up issues and memories long buried in the past. Katie's story explores the complex relationships between mother's and daughters through multiple generations.

As a mother of two young daughters, I always find books about mothers and daughters to be interesting. Especially as I look to the future and wonder about my relationship will be like with my grown daughters. I enjoyed reading Katie's story about both her mother and her daughter and the relationship between the three of them. While not always pleasant, I felt like this book was a testimony to the enduring relationships between mothers and daughters, overcoming even the most difficult moments of the past.

While this was an enjoyable read, I felt like it was a little too long. There didn't quite seem to be enough content to necessitate the length of the book, and I was a little restless during the last half of the book, being eager to finish and move on to something else.

But I am glad I read this book. Katie's story is worth telling, and her writing is worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment