Friday, November 15, 2013

A House in the Sky

A House in the Sky
by Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett

Genre:  Memoir
Published:  9/10/13 by Simon and Schuster
Pages:  384
Format:  ebook

My rating:
5 out of 5 stars





This is Amanda Lindhout's account of her terrifying kidnapping in Somalia.  Along with a fellow journalist, Amanda was held hostage for 460 days.  This memoir is more than just the details of her kidnapping.  It is a story of courage, forgiveness, and survival.

Before I even started page one, I knew what was going to happen.  I knew Amanda was going to be kidnapped, I knew she would be held hostage for 460 days, and I knew that she would be released.  And yet, her story captivated me from page one and never let go.  The details of what happened to Amanda and Nigel are horrific, but I didn't feel like they were the main purpose for sharing this story.  The most amazing thing about this story is Amanda's surprisingly positive attitude throughout the whole ordeal, and even more surprisingly, her understanding and compassion for her kidnappers.

This book is beautifully written and well paced.  It is hard to tell how much of the writing comes from Lindhout and how much comes from her co-author Sara Corbett.  But in the end, who cares?  It worked as an engaging and inspiring read, so who wrote what really doesn't matter to me .

Since reading this book, I have read more about Amanda Lindhout, reading and watching many interviews with her about her experience and the book.  Not long after she was released from captivity, she started a foundation to HELP the people of Somalia, the very country where she was kidnapped! She definitely has her critics, but I don't think all the criticism is fair.  I see Lindhout as someone who is taking something really horrible and trying to turn it into something positive.  For that, I admire her greatly!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment