Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Towers

The Towers
by Jordan Jeffers

Genre:  Fantasy
Published:  11/18/13 by Jordan Jeffers
Pages:  384
Format:  ebook

My rating:
4 out of 5 stars







I have to preface my review by saying that I don't read much fantasy. I have never read Tolkein or any other fantasy books that I can remember, so I may not be the best person to review this book.

However I can also say that as a fantasy newbie I enjoyed The Towers by Jordan Jeffers very much. I picked up the book on the recommendation of a friend who knows the author. I honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy it as this is not a genre that I typically read. But the story pulled me in almost right away and kept my attention through most of the book.

There are is a lot going on in this novel about the land of Cairn Meridia and its inhabitants who live in fear of their enemy, the Darkness. By using the rules found in the book of Prohibitions and the power of their 100 Towers, the people of Meridia have always been able to keep the Darkness at bay. But the time has come for the Darkness to grow more powerful, resulting in an epic showdown between good and evil.

Jeffers handles all this material well, setting up the land of Meridia and its traditions in a vivid manner and creating characters that are memorable. I only had one problem with the book, and that came towards the end. In what is possibly intended to be the climax of book, there is a series of brief stories introduced one after the other. I understand the purpose of these stories and what the author's intention was in telling them. However, after reading about so many characters in this book, I just could not read about another character so near the end of the book. Especially a character I knew would only be around for a page or two. I found myself skimming through this section. This could be a personal preference, but that section just did not hold my attention.

Overall, I think Jeffers has a true talent for telling a story. I'm glad that I was able to read and enjoy this memorable first novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment