Saturday, June 28, 2014

Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss
by Stephanie Perkins

Genre:  Young Adult
Published: 12/2/2010 by Penguin Group
Pages:  384
Format:  Hardcover

My rating:
3 out of 5 stars







This is a light and breezy YA book about Anna, a high school girl who is sent to boarding school in Paris for her senior year.  Once there, she makes some new friends, learns about a new city, culture and language and falls for a handsome British boy who also has a girlfriend.

This story is exactly what you would expect from the title and the cover.  Nothing surprising. It was sweet.  It was easy to read and fairly enjoyable.  Although it was also a little annoying at times.  I realize that I, as a thirtysomething mother of two, am not the target audience for this book.  But there was just a bit too much teen angst going on for my liking.  If Anna would have questioned one more time whether or not St. Clair liked her or not, I might have thrown the book out the window!  I felt like the author had to work too hard to keep Anna and St. Clair apart.  There was just not enough conflict to drive the story through to the end.  It got stuck in the cycle of "he loves me, he loves me not" for far too long.

However, despite my complaints, I did find this to be a fun book to read.  I picked it up when I just needed something to keep me reading and keep me distracted.  And this book did exactly that.  If you are a 15 year old girl looking for a nice romance or if you are a 30 year old like me looking for a distraction, this isn't a bad choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment