Saturday, November 15, 2014

Not Fade Away

Not Fade Away
by Rebecca Alexander

Genre:  Memoir
Published:  9/11/14 by Gotham
Pages:  320
Format:  ARC

My rating:
2 out of 5 stars








I received an advanced copy of this book through the Library Thing Early Reviewer's program.

Rebecca Alexander has Usher syndrome, which causes her to gradually lose her eyesight and hearing throughout her life until it is completely gone.  This memoir tells her story from finding out the Usher diagnosis to describing what it is like to be in the middle of losing both her sight and hearing.  

The idea of losing both sight and hearing, both at the same time, with no way to stop it from happening, is horrific.  Reading Rebecca's story and learning more about her illness was interesting.  However, the actual writing and telling of the story was less than stellar.  The story was told somewhat chronologically but there were some chapters that felt very random.  Overall, I found the pacing of the book to be very slow.  I also felt like it was very repetitive, like she was explaining the same feelings over and over again.

I am glad that I read this book, as I had never heard of Usher syndrome before and I appreciate being made more aware of it and learning about Rebecca Alexander.  However, I can't say that I really enjoyed the actual reading of the book much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment