Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares
by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Genre:  Young Adult
Published:  10/11/14 by Random House
Pages:  288
Format:  Paperback

My rating:
2 out of 5 stars





My book club picked this book to read in December.  It looked like it would be a cute and easy Christmas pick.  It was an easy book to read, but I found it to be much more obnoxious than it was cute.

The premise here is really good:  Lily, who loves Christmas and all that it entails,  leaves a red notebook with clues written inside in a bookstore in NYC.  Dash, who hates Christmas, finds the notebook and leaves a clue himself for Lily to find next.  They continue to play this scavenger hunt game around the city, until eventually they meet in person.

That is when this novel really starts to go downhill.  It's a cute idea, but once Dash and Lily meet in real life, this story just died.  It got really stupid at times, and I just grew more and more annoyed with each turning of the page.

Generally I enjoy this genre of young adult fiction, with clever, witty teenagers who do not talk and write like normal teenagers.  But in the case of Dash and Lily, I felt like the authors tried TOO hard to make it clever and witty.  It just didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment