Friday, February 27, 2015

My Sunshine Away

My Sunshine Away
by M.O. Walsh

Genre:  Fiction
Published: 2/10/15 by Penguin
Pages:  320
Format:  Hardcover

My rating:
3 out of 5 stars








I have mixed feelings about this book.  There were parts that I liked, and parts that I really didn't like at all. 

My Sunshine Away is set in Baton Rouge, Louisiana about the rape of a 15 year old girl in the 80s.  The narrator of the story explains the events leading up to and following the crime.  Suspects are introduced, and before long, it is revealed that the narrator himself is a suspect.

I liked the way this story was structured.  Especially at the beginning.  It was obvious that the (unnamed) narrator wasn't quite telling the whole story, and with each new chapter, he introduced new information, which led to him looking more and more suspicious.   I felt like this was well written.  The question of "who did it" kept me reading as well as well as wanting to know what part the narrator would play in this story.

But the content was just a little too much for me.  I am not one to shy away from a dark story, and with the subject of a young girl's rape, I knew this would not be a pleasant tale.  But the descriptions of some of the characters' perverse and obsessive actions in this story were just more than I wanted to read.  It was not enjoyable to read and eventually it grew boring as well.  I found myself skimming through large sections just so that I could move on to find out what happened without having to read all of the details.


No comments:

Post a Comment