Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reached

Reached (Matched Trilogy #3)
by Ally Condie

Pages:  384
Published:  11/13/12 by Penguin
Format:  ebook

MY RATING:
2.5 out of 5 stars








To recap my thoughts on the first two books: I gave Matched 3.5 stars and found it to be fairly entertaining and enjoyable. I gave Crossed 2 stars and didn't really like it much at all. I have an addiction to these young adult dystopian romances, and I can't stop reading them...even when they aren't very good!

That brings us to Reached, the third and final book in the Matched trilogy. This series is about a girl named Cassia who lives in a place called the Society, where everything in her life is controlled by the Society even her future "match." Things get interesting for Cassia when she finds out that she is matched with two boys, Ky and Xander.

This final book returns to the story of Cassia, Ky and Xander. They are all secretly working for the Rising and preparing for a rebellion against the Society. A plague breaks out in the Society, which leads the three of them to search for a cure before it is too late.

I felt that Reached was slightly better than Crossed, but not by much. I just found the story to be boring, and I didn't care what was going to happen next. I easily could have put this book down halfway through and never give a second thought to what was going to happen next.

The love triangle was also dull. It was obvious from the beginning who Cassia was going to pick, so there was no tension at all. I also didn't really like the characters of Ky or Xander much, so it didn't matter to me who she picked.

This book is written in first person and shifts points of views between Cassia, Ky and Xander. One of my biggest problems with the book is that every character sounded exactly the same. Since they were all speaking in first person, I had a hard time remembering whose chapter I was reading. Fortunately, they put the name of the character at the top of each page, and I had to reference that constantly.

So I don't have much good to say about this book. It was an anticlimactic end to a mediocre series.

No comments:

Post a Comment