Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Husband's Secret

by Liane Moriarty

Genre:  Fiction/Chick Lit
Pages:  416
Published:  7/30/13 by Penguin Group
Format:  book (Advanced Reader's Copy)

My rating:
3.5 out of 5 stars







I received an advance copy of this book for review through Library Thing.

The Husband's Secret tells the story of three women, whose seemingly independent lives become intertwined as the story unfolds. Tess is back at home living with her mother, after she discovers that her husband is having an affair. Rachel is an elderly woman who has spent years grieving over the death of her murdered daughter. Cecilia is a busy mom who appears to have it "all together" but everything changes when she discovers a secret letter written by her husband.

I enjoyed reading Moriarty's previous book, What Alice Forgot, so I was excited to get the chance to read her latest book. I did enjoy this story as well. I think the plot and characters were interesting, and the moral dilemma that it poses was intriguing. It's hard to imagine what I would do if I found myself in the shoes of the characters in this story.

It was a little hard to get started reading this book, as each chapter switches to a different woman's story. I read it in short spurts at first, and I kept forgetting who was who.

At times, I felt like this book would have worked as a soap opera or a Lifetime movie, as it is a bit dramatic and contrived. But it was never too over the top cheesy or emotional. That is one thing that I like about Moriarty's writing. She writes chick lit, and her stories are light and not too deep. But they also don't feel dumbed down. There is still a realness about her writing that keeps me from rolling my eyes while reading (as can be the case with other books in the chick lit genre).

This was a good summer read, and I would definitely be willing to continue reading whatever other books Liane Moriarty writes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment